Is it even summertime if you haven’t had s’mores? Of course not! That’s why we’re featuring an amazing cast iron s’mores dip recipe you can make with little ones to celebrate the best days of summer. These easy, no-fuss s’mores are ready in minutes, and you can make them in the oven or over the campfire all summer long. Kids can gather a few math facts and figures to help you prepare the perfect s’mores dip, so everyone can get right to that magical s’mores goodness at the end of the recipe. Read on to find out more!
Why use cast iron to make your s'mores dip? It's super versatile, meaning you can pop your skillet right in the oven or over the campfire coals with ease. In addition, cast iron retains heat beautifully, giving those delightful mini chocolate chips in the s'mores dip the chance to reach just the right melty consistency, even after you pull the skillet off the heat. A 10-inch cast iron skillet works great for this recipe, but you can just as easily use a bigger or smaller skillet and adjust the amount of ingredients accordingly.
If you don't have cast iron, can you still make this recipe? Of course! We recommend making the s'mores dip recipe in the oven, using an oven-safe glass baking dish, as an alternative.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make cast iron skillet s'mores dip:
Here's how to make cast iron skillet s'mores dip in the oven:
1. Preheat the oven to 450˚F. Coat the cast iron skillet with one tablespoon of butter. You can melt the butter over a burner set to low and turn off the burner once the butter has melted.
2. Layer the chocolate chips to completely cover the bottom of the cast iron skillet. (You don't have to be exact here.)
3. Next, layer the mini marshmallows or jumbo marshmallow halves on top of the chocolate chip layer. Be sure to cover the chocolate chips completely.
4. Pop the cast iron skillet into your preheated oven for about five minutes. Turn the oven light on so you can watch your marshmallows carefully. Take the cast iron skillet out of the oven when the marshmallows have turned a soft golden brown.
5. Set the cast iron skillet on a trivet and allow the dip to rest for a few minutes to bring the temperature down slightly and to give the chocolate chips extra time to melt. Dig in!
You can use graham crackers or any other snack you fancy to enjoy the s'mores dip. If you choose to make the recipe over the campfire, simply build your campfire, set up a wire rack, and place your cast iron skillet, with butter and chocolate chips only, in the center of the wire rack. Stir with a wooden spoon until the buttery chocolate mixture has melted, about five minutes or so. Then add the marshmallows on top and continue to cook for an additional ten minutes or so, until the marshmallows are gooey and melted. Remove from the campfire and serve.
Use this easy s'mores activity to reinforce math skills with your kiddos. Here are some simple ways you can incorporate s'more math practice into your s'mores adventures: 😉
We're confident you and your students will love snacking on this campfire s'mores dip and practicing a few math skills in the process!
Did you try out this activity with your little learners? Tell us all about it! Drop us a line in the comment section below and tag @iknowit on social media to share your s'mores adventures!
Looking for fun, interactive activities to help little ones practice math skills all summer long? Browse the entire collection of math activities right here on iKnowIt.com. We have the math games you need to keep those math skills sharp while school's out for the summer.